IMPORTANT! If you decide to purchase additional protection or insurance from an external supplier, you will still have to pay if the Vehicle is stolen or damaged. To do this, you must follow the steps described below:
- Pay in full to Avis the amounts due for the damage or theft of the Vehicle up to the maximum liability agreed with Avis.
- Submit a claim for compensation to your external supplier. It is your responsibility to make sure you understand the terms of any cover you buy from an external provider and for any claim you make. Unfortunately, we are unable to help you with your claim.
Avis global insurance coverages are always subject to change. Please verify at time of rental.
Optional protection services in case of car accident – CDW (Collision Damage Waiver)
If you choose the CDW option, this will reduce the financial responsibility of the renter, regardless of blame, to the minimum mandatory limit for damaging or losing the rental car or its accessories or car parts, except for car theft or vandalizing. Purchase of CDW reduces liability to an amount between EUR 892.50 and EUR 2,380.00.
This optional protection services must be chosen at the beginning of the rental period and stipulated in the Car Rental Agreement.
Regardless of whether you opt for a CDW or not, the titleholder of the agreement is liable for the entire costs of the damage if the damage was caused by:
- using the car in other purposes than those intended by the manufacturer or the applicable legislation;
- using the car in areas or roads which are not included in the public traffic network, on unpaved roads, on road segments or in areas where cars are not allowed or on roads which pose a risk to the car being damaged, or if the damage was caused following the entrance into an area with restrictions regarding gauge and tonnage;
- using the car for taxi services or driving lessons
- using the car by a person who does not own a valid driving license for that type of car or whose driving license has been suspended, annulled or confiscated;
- using the car by a person who is under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medicine with similar effects, or a person who has avoided or refused to give biological or toxicological samples or who has left the accident scene, unless such an act is allowed by the applicable legislation;
- using the car by a person who, at the moment the accident occurred, was willingly committing a crime or trying to escape after committing a crime;
- carrying or transporting any flammable, explosive, corrosive, oxidant, toxic, radioactive, harmful, dangerous or illegal materials;
- using the car in river beds, flooded areas or areas covered by water (on the road or off the road), without complying with the manufacturer's instructions regarding driving in such conditions; immobilization caused by water being sucked in the engine;
- willingly damaging the car;
- fitting equipment to the outside of the vehicle, which may cause damage to the vehicle (for example roof racks, bike racks, stickers etc.);
- selling, removing of any of their parts, disposing of any optional extras as well as allowing anyone else to do so;
- pushing or towing of any trailer or any other vehicle;
- using the car in situations which do not comply with the manufacturer's instructions regarding the maximum loading capacity, wrong fuel usage, wrong use of the clutch and gear, wrong assessment of the car gauge, keep using the car in spite of the alarm signals lit up on the car dashboard, making changes to the car;
- using the car for any type of car racing or car competitions (including practice sessions), rallies, speed tests and endurance tests;
- sub-renting the car to a third party;
- if the titleholder of the agreement or the additional driver do not stop the car after an accident has occurred or if he/she does not take necessary action: i.e. inform the police, take the name and address of the parties involved and/or witnesses;
- driving the car without complying with the load limits, speeding, according to the circulation permit of the car;
- driving the car by unauthorised persons, meaning under age drivers, or drivers who have not been included in the Car Rental Agreement;
- not complying with the traffic lights, not respecting the railroad crossing road light or the STOP sign, speeding, driving on the wrong side of the road, driving in the wrong direction on one-way streets;
- damage caused to the engine, car wheels, tires and the interior of the car, under the body of the car if the damage is not the direct result of a driving accident;
- damage caused due to theft attempts from the car of GPS/WIFI/baby car seats or personal belongings;
- damage of the windshield if they are not caused by a collision to another car.
If the Vehicle is driven by a driver who has not been authorized by Avis (a person other than the one mentioned in the Rental Agreement) and there is damage, the entire damage or any damage caused to a third party is borne by the Titleholder (up to the full price of the Vehicle, regardless of the type of protection purchased at the signing of the contract). The additional protection service - CDW is not valid outside Romania, without the consent from the car rental office to leave the country. Insurance covering driving the car outside Romanian borders is subject to special conditions and fees.
Optional protection services in case of car theft – TPC (Theft Protection Coverage)
If you choose to buy a TPC, you reduce the level of the maximum financial liability you will have if the car is stolen. However, you are liable for the damage within the liability stipulated in your Car Rental Agreement. Purchase of TPC reduces liability to an amount between EUR 892.50 and EUR 2,380.00.
Avis shall reimburse the invoiced amount if the liability of a third party is clearly proved.
This optional protection service must be chosen at the beginning of the rental period and stipulated in the Car Rental Agreement. If the car is stolen, you must submit a complaint to the responsible authorities and notify the nearest Avis agency, no later than 4 hours after you have discovered the theft, and also provide the agency with the proof that you have submitted a complaint and hand in the keys and documents of the car. If the car key and/or the car documents have also been stolen, you must also mention this fact when you submit the complaint.
The TPC additional protection service is not valid outside Romania, without the driver having obtained the consent to leave the country from the car rental office. Insurance covering driving the car outside Romanian borders is subject to special conditions and fees.
Protection in case of accident and theft - SCDW (SuperCover)
If you choose to buy a SCDW you will not be liable for any financial payment if the car is damaged or stolen.
This additional supplementary protection service must be completed at the beginning of the rental and indicated in the Lease Agreement. SCDW can only be contracted as a supplement to CDW and TPC.
Damage caused to the windshield is not covered by the SCDW. However, the damage caused to the panoramic sunroof and rear-view mirrors are covered by the SCDW. The SCDW additional protection service is not valid outside Romania, without the consent from the car rental office to leave the country. Insurance covering driving the car outside Romanian borders is subject to special conditions and fees.
Regardless of whether you opt for a SCDW or not, the titleholder of the agreement is liable for the entire costs of the damage if the damage was caused by any of the situations mentioned above at section Optional protection services in case of car accident (CDW: Collision Damage Waiver), Not applicable.
Road safety net (RSN)
If you choose a Road Safety Net you will not be liable for any expenses with 24/7 car technical assistance if the car becomes unusable due to:
- loss of car keys;
- car was locked with the car keys inside;
- dead battery due to wrong use;
- wrong fuel use;
- damaged tires.
If the RSN additional service was not purchased, following a case of immobilization presented above, an intervention fee of 50 EUR will be applied, if the immobilized vehicle is within the following cities: Bucharest, Sibiu, Timisoara, Iasi or Cluj-Napoca, namely 180 EUR in all other cases. RSN is only valid within Romanian borders.
Road Safety Net does not reduce your financial liability regarding the consequences caused by the car becoming unusable, or the costs of repairs, damage and/or car theft, which you will still be liable for. Road Safety Net does not apply if the car becomes unusable off public roads.
Windshield protection (LI)
If you buy this additional protection service you will not be liable for any damage caused to the windshield (scratches, chipping, breaking).
The protection against windshield damage does not reduce your liability in regard to other damage caused to the car (especially to the panoramic sunroof or rear-view mirrors) or if the car is stolen, which you will still be liable for.