Rent a Car
Cyril E King Airport (STT)
Saint Thomas, 00802, US Virgin Islands (St Thomas)
Hours of Operation:
Sun - Sat 8:00 AM - 7:00 PM
Terms & Conditions
- Retain your reservation confirmation number as it is necessary for modification, cancellation or no-show refund requests. Changes to your prepay reservation must be made either on Avis.com, Avis.com.au or Avis.co.nz or at the rental counter. At time of change, current rates, taxes and fees apply.
- Your credit or debit card will be charged upon reservation confirmation. Method of prepayment toward your rental may not be changed after confirmation.
- Debit cards are not accepted at some Avis locations and are not a recommended form of prepayment.
- While a debit or prepaid charge card is an acceptable form of rental prepayment online, they may not be accepted for the credit hold required when you pick up your vehicle.
- Please review the terms and conditions on our confirmation page regarding credit or debit card acceptance at the location. To release the vehicle to you at time of pick-up, all rental terms and conditions must be met, regardless of your original prepayment.
- Prepaid Debit/Gift cards are not acceptable methods of credit identification to pick up a vehicle at any location. One of the above mentioned cards must be presented. Prepaid Debit/Gift cards are accepted at time of return only.
- The same credit or debit card used to complete an online Pay Now reservation must be presented at the rental pick-up counter as a form of identification.
- Generally, at the time of rental, we'll require a credit card hold of total estimated charges or $200 USD, whichever is greater. If you have prepaid with a debit card, the hold is only $100 USD. A prepaid charge card is not accepted for this required hold.
- The card presented at pickup will be the card of record for the rental.
- If you use a debit card at a location that accepts them, we will perform a credit check to ensure credit worthiness before releasing the vehicle and you must also present a second form of current identification.
- Prepaid reservations are only offered at participating locations.
- Upon paying your rental with a Debit Card, Avis will generally request an authorization hold against your account for the estimated charges of the rental but reserves the right in its sole, discretion, to request extra value based on certain factors as we deem appropriate. Some exceptions may apply. THESE FUNDS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR YOUR USE.
- If you selected Fuel Service Option, fuel price isn't included in your reservation total, but prevailing market rate will be added when you return your vehicle.
- Avis accepts most major credit cards as credit identification at the time of rental. Accepted credit cards: Avis Charge Card, American Express, AT&T Capital, Diner's Club Intl, Discover, China Union Pay, GE Capital, JCB, MasterCard, PHH, Sears and Visa. Some locations may not accept each of the referenced cards.
- Coupons may be applied to prepay rentals. Vouchers or Avis rental certificates cannot be used in conjunction with a prepay reservation.
- Gift Cards (Avis or any other) are not allowed on prepay reservations.
- Most U.S. locations also accept bank debit cards with the Visa or MasterCard logo as credit identification at the time of rental if you are at least 25 years of age. Canada locations do not accept bank debit cards as a form of credit identification. In most cases, U.S. locations will perform a credit check for debit card renters to determine credit worthiness at the time of rental. The renter must meet Avis' minimum criteria in order to rent.
- When the rental is over, we will process the reversal but the bank may take time to post it back to the account - unless you already paid toward your rental, in which case the hold will be only $100 USD. While this hold is in place, the funds will not be available for your use.
- Avis is not responsible for any returned checks or overdrafts based on this policy.
- Your quoted rental rate is based on the exact parameters (locations, dates, etc.) of your particular rental - changing your confirmed reservation parameters could result in a different rate.
- There is no fee for making the following changes: vehicle type, options (GPS, protections, etc.), rental period dates/times, adding other drivers, switching between participating prepay pick-up locations within the same country. To change to a non-participating location or one outside of the original pick-up country, you must cancel your original reservation (with applicable cancellation fee) and re-book at then current rates.
- Non-permissible changes include: method of prepayment; name on reservation; changing your pick-up to a non-participating prepay location or one outside of the original pick-up country. If you still wish to make these changes, you must cancel your original prepay reservation with applicable cancellation fee and re-book at then current rates.
- At time of rental pick-up, location rental qualification rules apply. The name on all rental credentials (license and credit or debit card) must match the name on the reservation. If the names do not match, it is deemed a non-permissible change to your prepay reservation and must follow procedures to cancel and re-book at then current rates (with applicable cancellation or no-show fees).
- At the time of pick up, driver must present a valid driver's license and credit card (or debit card at participating locations) in the driver's name. A prepaid charge card is not an acceptable credential. All drivers must have a safe driving record.
- At time of pick up, driver must present a valid, drivers license and credit or debit card in the driver's name. If the drivers license is not U.S.-issued, you must present your drivers license and either a passport or a Canadian enhanced license in the driver's name.
- At the time of rental, the renter or authorized driver may be subject to an electronic DMV check from the issuing state of the driver's license, or may be asked to sign a declaration attesting to specific criteria.
- Positive identification in addition to your driver's license may be required.
- Your total rental rate is calculated based on the information provided at time of reservation.
- Vehicles are rented on a daily (24-hour) basis. There is a 29-minute grace period for returns. After 30 minutes late, a 3/4-day late charge + $.01 + taxes apply. After 90 minutes late, full-day late charges + taxes apply. There is no grace period for rental fees, surcharges and optional equipment or protections charges, so full-day late charges will apply for these items.
- Extensions or late returns result in additional charges.
- Rather than requiring customers to be 25 to rent, Avis now rents to customers between the ages of 21-24 with a valid credit card and driver's license. At time of rental, we will automatically apply an additional underage surcharge for these drivers.
- Additionally, the following restrictions also will apply for renters between the ages of 21-24: Renters of luxury cars, mini-vans, 12-passenger vans, specialty cars, full-size SUVs and premium SUVs will not be permitted.
- The charge for additional drivers is $10-per-day USD per additional driver.
- The following are exempt from additional driver charges: renter's employer or regular fellow employee when on company business; renter's spouse or domestic partner; disabled renters who have completed the non-licensed renter form.
- The collection, use and retention of your information, including your personally identifiable information, provided to us in connection with payment for our services and products, or participation in our programs, whether directly by you or on your behalf through a payment service, is subject to our Privacy Notice.
- Changes to a reservation must be done at Avis.com, Avis.com.au, or Avis.co.nz using the "Modify/Cancel" option. Any changes to the reservation may impact the rental charges. If a prepaid reservation is cancelled more than 24 hours before the pickup time, a $50.00 USD cancellation fee will be assessed.
- If you need to cancel during the 24 hour period prior to the scheduled pick-up time, we will refund the full prepaid amount less a $150 USD processing fee.
- If you do not cancel the reservation prior to the time of pick-up and the rental vehicle is not picked up on the rental date, no portion of the prepaid amount will be refunded.
- If you return the vehicle before the original return date (early return), you will not be refunded any portion of the payment.
- All refund requests must be submitted within six months of the scheduled rental pick up date. No refunds will be granted after this six month window.
- Underpayments will be handled at the counter at time of rental return. Unfortunately, we can't promise that your prepaid daily vehicle rate will apply if you change vehicle types, lengthen or shorten your rental period or change your pick up location.
- Upon returning the vehicle, Avis will process a release of the unused portion of the hold subject to your bank's procedure. This hold may take up to two weeks to be released by your bank.
- If you have already paid toward your rental using a debit card, we will reverse any hold when the rental is over. The bank, however, may take time to post it back to your account. While this hold is in place, the funds will not be available for your use.
Cash Rentals are not accepted at this location.
Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is optional (taxable).
Non-waivable excess renters 21-24 (if LDW is accepted): Car groups A, B, C, D, E, & N: US$500.00; Groups F, G, H, J, X, L, M, O, & K: US$1,000.00. If LDW is not accepted, damage responsibility is full value of the car rented. Non-waivable excess renters 25 or older (if LDW is accepted): Car group O: US$500.00; Group F, I: US$1,000.00; All other car groups: No deductible. If LDW is not accepted, damage responsibility is full value of the car rented. Motor Liability Insurance: Public liability and property damage is included with the minimum liability limits required by law: Bodily injury/death per person: $10,000.00 USD; Bodily injury/death per accident $25,000.00 USD; - Property Damage up to $10,000.00 USD.
Note: If you require additional insurance coverage, you may purchase locally to reduce/remove the insurance excess. Just ask at the Avis rental desk when you collect your car.
Global insurance coverages are always subject to change. Please verify at time of rental.
Credit Card Policies
Budget in this country accepts Avis charge cards, American Express, Discover, MasterCard, Visa. Some credit cards provide insurance coverage, with certain limitations, as a benefit of using the card to rent vehicles. The customer is advised to contact the card issuer before the rental. Any waiver must be discussed directly with the location upon arrival.
Additional Charge Card Hold: The authorization hold for credit cards and debit cards (at participating locations) will be the estimated rental charges plus $200.00. If the customer prepaid the rental, the authorization hold will be $250.00.
Debit Card Policies
Debit cards are accepted with the following restrictions:
- Debit card is from a United States banking institution with a Visa or MasterCard logo.
- Renter/user is at least 25 years of age. See Age Requirements for exceptions.
- The customer must purchase LDW.
- The customer must purchase the prepaid gas option.
- Minimum hold on debit card will be the greater of
- Rental 1-3 days: estimated rental charges plus $200.00
- Rental 4 days or more: estimated rental charges plus $300.00
- Rental 1-3 days: estimated rental charges plus $200.00
- Prepaid (Pay Now) Rate: through Avis.com or Avis Reservation Center, Debit Card hold will be $250.00 at time of rental (in addition to the prepaid amount).
Valid driver's license from country of residence is required. U.S. Driver's license is accepted. Local Permit is required if the renter does not have a license from the United States and must be obtained at the time of rental at the rental counter. Check at counter for current price. The permit is valid for 30 days. International driving license is required only for countries with non-Roman alphabet. International driving license is a translation only.
Public Liability and Property Damage
Third party property damage and personal liability protections are included in the cost of the rental, providing the minimum coverage required by the laws of the country.
Additional Driver Policy
The additional driver must meet the same restrictions as the primary driver. Additional Driver Fee $7.50 per day, per additional driver.
- A frequent flyer surcharge of up to $1.00 per day applies to all rentals earning frequent flyer miles, points or credits.
- Extensions or late returns may result in additional charges.
At this location, the minimum age is 21 for all car groups. An underage fee will apply for renters 21-24 of 25.00 USD per day.
Vehicles rented in St Thomas are NOT allowed outside the country.
Avis vehicles are permitted outside of St. Thomas borders to St. John with the following restrictions:
- Vehicles may be taken on the Ferry to St. John and returned to St. Thomas.
- Call ferry operator directly to verify prices and schedules.
- No other cross border is allowed.
The following conditions apply:
- Damage to the car while traveling on the ferry will not be covered by LDW.
- If purchased, LDW will be in effect while on the island of St. John.
- Basic roadside assistance such as battery boosts, tires changes or lock outs are the responsibility of the renter.
- No roadside assistance is available on St. John.
- If the car breaks down due to mechanical problem, Avis will provide service assistance.
Note: Manufactures Roadside Assistance does not apply to any vehicle in the US Virgin Islands, all related costs are absorbed by the company.
Travel Into Other Countries
Cars can be returned to other Avis locations on this island. Cars can be ferried to St. John from St. Thomas, however the following conditions apply: Damage to the car while traveling on the ferry will not be covered by LDW and no roadside assistance is available on St. John. If the car breaks down, the customer is responsible for returning the car to St. Thomas.
Vehicles are not available for one way rentals outside this country.
Personal Effects Protection (PEP)
Personal Effects Protection (PEP) is available and an optional purchase at the counter.
Purchase of PEP insures the personal belongings (personal use, not used in business) accompanying the renter.