Avis Car Rental and its subsidiaries operate one of the world's best-known car rental brands with approximately 5,450 locations in more than 165 countries. Avis has a long history of innovation in the car rental industry and is one of the world's top brands for customer loyalty. Avis is owned by Avis Budget Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: CAR), which operates and licenses the brand throughout the world.
Founded in 1946 by Warren Avis (who sold his interest in 1954), Avis was the first company to rent cars from airport locations. The company grew rapidly during the 1950's through franchised and corporate-owned expansion. In 1963, Avis introduced the award-winning "We try harder®" campaign and the tagline remains the company's rallying cry even today. Ten years later, Avis launched its innovative Wizard system, the company's proprietary reservation technology. Avis changed ownership multiple times in the 70's and 80's, becoming employee-owned in 1987. That same year, Avis introduced the Roving Rapid Return, a handheld computer terminal allowing customers to bypass the Avis counter. Two years later, the company launched Avis Cares® a program aimed at promoting renter and employee safety. In 1996, HFS Incorporated acquired Avis and then spun off as a separate public company all but the franchising rights, Wizard system, and reservation operations. In 2000, the company introduced Avis Interactive, the first Internet-based reporting system in the car rental industry, which was significantly enhanced and re-launched in 2006. In March 2001, Cendant Corporation purchased all of the outstanding shares of Avis Group Holdings and later that year moved its world headquarters to Parsippany, NJ. In 2006, Cendant Corp. separated into four independent companies: Realogy, Wyndham Worldwide, Travelport and Avis Budget Group, Inc., which is now the parent company of Avis Rent a Car System, LLC.
6 Sylvan Way, Parsippany, NJ 07054
Special Service Offerings
- Avis Preferred and Avis First, our customer loyalty programs, offer members counter-bypass service and rewards such as free rental days and upgrades.
- Avis Preferred® Select & Go, the Company's vehicle selection service, is available in the United States and Canada.
- Avis Cares® is a multifaceted program designed to ensure that Avis customers have a safe and stress-free trip to their destination. Included in the offering is a guide for the proper usage of child safety seats. Avis was the first rental car company to offer the LATCH system, the federal standard for child restraint installation.
- Avis Access is the rental car industry's first comprehensive accessibility program for travelers with disabilities
- Avis Corporate Awards™ is a program designed to help small and mid-size businesses by offering low corporate rates, complimentary rental days, and free enrollment in Avis Preferred service.
- Avis Mini Lease is designed for 60 day to 11-month rentals for extended vacations, relocations or temporary assignments.
- Avis Group Sales is designed to help group, association and family gatherings with their ground transportation needs and offers special pricing and other assistance for meetings using five or more cars.
- Avis Corporate Sales offers large and mid-sized business managers negotiated rates, frequency benefits and optional coverages.
Avis Budget Group, Inc. Executive Staff
Recent Awards and Recognition
(888) 777-AVIS or visit www.avis.com / (888) TRY-HARD for travelers with disabilities
For Media Relations Inquiries
Call (973) 496-3916 or email email@example.com