Print Terms and Conditions
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Avis Terms and Conditions
SMS - Terms and Conditions
List of supported carriers:
AVIS - Terms and Conditions
1. Rental Agreement. These terms and conditions, the rental document signed by you, and a return record with computed rental charges, together constitute the rental agreement between yourself and Avis Rent A Car System, LLC, or the independent Avis System Licensee identified on the rental document (“Avis”).
2. Terms. You rent from us the car described on the rental document, which rental is solely a bailment for mutual benefit. You agree to the terms below and on the panels of the Rental Document Jacket provided any such term is not prohibited by the law of a jurisdiction covering this rental, in which case such law controls. “You” and “your” refer to the person who signs this agreement. “We”, “our” and “us” refer to Avis. You also agree that you are not our agent for any purpose; and that you cannot assign or transfer your obligations.
3. Return of the Car. You must return the car in the same condition you received it, ordinary wear and tear excepted, on the date and at the time indicated on the rental document. You must return it sooner on our demand. If you return it earlier or later, a different or higher rate may apply and, if returned later, you may be charged a late return fee. You may not return the car at a time when we are closed. If you do, your responsibility for damage to or loss of the car will continue and all charges stated on the rental document as a periodic rate will continue to accrue until the return location reopens and we retake actual possession of the car. If we do not find the car when that location reopens, your responsibility for all charges and for damage to or loss of the car will continue until the car is actually returned or recovered. If you wish to extend any rental, you must contact us at 1-888-897-8448 to request it before your return date. We may or may not grant an extension or grant it for the entire period you request, in our sole discretion. If we do grant an extension, a different or higher rate may be applied to the extension period and a service fee may also apply.
4. Where You'll Return the Car . The car must be returned to the agreed return location as specified on the rental document. If return is indicated to a location other than the location where your rental commences, you may have to pay a “ one-way service fee.” If you return the car to a different location from the agreed return location without our permission, you agree to pay the “unauthorized return location fee” specified by us. If this fee is higher by multiplying normal mileage rate by distance between renting location and actual return location as specified on the return document/return record, you'll pay the higher fee. You also understand that a different or higher rate may apply.
5. Rental Charges . You will pay for the number of miles you drive and the period of time you rent the car at the rate indicated on the rental document. The minimum charge is one day (24 hours), unless “calendar day” is indicated on the rental document, plus mileage, or a fixed fee. We will determine the miles by reading the factory-installed odometer. The daily charge applies to consecutive 24-hour periods starting at the hour and minute the rental begins or, if a calendar day is specified on the rental document, each consecutive calendar day or any part of a calendar day starting on the calendar day on which the rental commences. If you fail to comply with any conditions for special rates specified on the rental document, our otherwise applicable rates will be charged. You'll pay all charges that apply to the rental for miscellaneous services and, where permitted, airport facility fees and/or concession recovery fees, and vehicle license recovery fees, other fees and surcharges. If you present any rewards certificates, coupons or vouchers associated with a loyalty rewards program, you may be charged a redemption fee. You will also pay a reasonable fee for cleaning the car's interior upon return for excessive stains, dirt or soilage attributable to your use. We maintain a smoke-free fleet. You will pay an additional charge if you smoke in the car. You and any third party to whom any rental charges are billed, such as an insurer or employer, are jointly and severally responsible for payment of all such charges. If you direct us to bill any such charges to a third party, you represent that you are authorized to do so. If you use a car with automatic toll payment capability, you will pay us or our toll program administrator for all tolls incurred during your rental and all related fees, charges and penalties.
6. Taxes. You'll pay all sales, use, rental, environmental and excise taxes, including tax-related surcharges.
7 . Loss Damage Waiver. Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) is not insurance and is not mandatory. If you accept full LDW by your initials on the rental document at the daily rate, for each full or partial day that the car is rented to you, and the car is operated in accordance with this agreement, we assume all loss or damage to the car except, if permitted by law, for lost, damaged or stolen keys or remote entry devices, towing or tire service unless related to an accident, or recovery of the car if stolen, and except for your amount of “responsibility,” if any, specified on the rental document. Partial Loss Damage Waiver (PDW) is available only where permitted by law. If you accept PDW at the indicated daily rate, and the car is operated in accordance with this agreement, we assume all loss or damage to the car up to the amount as specified on the rental document and you accept responsibility for all other loss or damage. If you do not accept either LDW or PDW, you owe for all loss or damage to the car. Loss and damage are described in the following paragraph. You acknowledge you have been advised that your own insurance may cover loss or damage to the car. You also acknowledge reading the notice on loss damage shown on the rental document, or at the end of these terms, or in separate notice form.
8. Damage/Loss to the Car. If you do not accept LDW, or if the car is lost or damaged as a direct or indirect result of a violation of paragraph 17, you are responsible; and you will pay us for all loss of or damage to the car regardless of cause, or who, or what caused it. If the car is damaged, you will pay our estimated repair cost, or if, in our sole discretion, we determine to sell the car in its damaged condition, you will pay the difference between the car's retail fair market value before it was damaged and the sale proceeds. Where permitted by law, you authorize us to charge you for the actual cost of repair or replacement of lost or damaged items such as glass, mirrors, and antenna, as part of your rental charges at the time of return. If the car is stolen and not recovered, you will pay us the car's fair market value before it was stolen. As part of our loss, you'll also pay for loss of use of the car, without regard to our fleet utilization, plus an administrative fee, plus towing and storage charges, if any (“Incidental Loss”). If your responsibility is covered by any insurance, you will provide us with the name of the insurer and policy number, or if the insurance is provided by your card issuer, its insurer. You authorize us to process any or all of our Incidental Loss to your card at or after the completion of your rental. You also authorize us to collect any or all of our loss from any third party that is responsible for it. If we collect our loss from a third party after we have collected our loss from you, we will refund the difference, if any, between what you paid and what we collected from the third party. If the law of a jurisdiction covering this rental requires conditions on LDW that are different than the terms of this agreement, such as if your liability for ordinary negligence is limited by such law, that law prevails. You understand that you are not authorized to repair or have the car repaired without our express prior written consent. If you repair or have the car repaired without our consent, you will pay the estimated cost to restore the car to the condition it was in prior to your rental. If we authorize you to have the car repaired, we will reimburse you for those repairs only if you give us the repair receipt.
9. Loss Damage Waiver Fee. If you accept LDW, you'll pay the daily LDW rate as specified on the rental document. If PDW is available, and you accept it instead of LDW, you'll pay the daily PDW rate as specified on the rental document. In either case, you agree to pay the applicable daily rate for a full day if you don't have the car for the entire day. The fee is the applicable daily rate multiplied by the number of rental days.
10. Fuel Service Charge. Most rentals come with a full tank of fuel, but that is not always the case. There are three refueling options:
(a) Where available, if permitted by law, if you drive less than 75 miles, you acknowledge that we will add a flat fee to the rental, the amount of which will be disclosed on the rental document and at the counter prior to rental. You may avoid this charge at time of return by providing a receipt for fuel purchased at which time the flat fee will be reversed from your total rental charges.
(b) If you do not accept the fuel service option, where available, at the beginning of your rental, and you return the car with less fuel than was in it when you received it, we will charge you a fuel service charge at the applicable per-mile or per-gallon rate specified on the rental document. The per-mile rate is used if you do not buy fuel during the rental. To calculate this amount, we multiply the number of miles driven, as shown on the car's odometer, times the per-mile rate shown on the rental document. The per-gallon rate is used if you buy fuel during the rental and provide us with a receipt on our request, but the tank is not as full when you return the car as when you received the car (by using the factory-installed gauge, rounded down to the nearest 1/8 tank), times the per-gallon rate shown on the rental document. Although two methods are used for ease of calculation, the per-mile and per-gallon rates produce approximately the same result.
(c) If you accept the fuel service option at the beginning of your rental, you will be charged as shown on the rental document for that purchase, and you will not pay us a fuel service change. If you choose this option, you will not incur an additional fuel service charge, but you will not receive any credit for fuel left in the tank at the time of return. The per-gallon cost of the fuel service option will always be lower than the fuel service charge. The cost of refueling the car yourself at a local service station may be lower than the fuel service charge or the fuel service option. You acknowledge that the fuel service charge is not a retail sale of fuel.
You may avoid a fuel service charge if you return the car with the fuel tank as full as when you received it and, if requested by us, present a receipt for your fuel purchase.
11. Emergency Sickness Protection (“ESP”), where available, is available only to Canadian renters and international renters with valid non-U.S. passports.You'll pay for ESP, if you accept it. You'll be charged the rate per day for a full day even if you don't have the car for the entire day. ESP is offered by an independent insurer and is explained in a brochure available at the counter.
12. Personal Accident Insurance (PAI). You'll pay for Personal Accident Insurance if you accept it. You understand that you will be charged the rate per day for a full day even if you don't have the car the entire day.
13. Personal Effects Protection (PEP) Insurance. You'll pay for PEP insurance if you accept it. You will be charged the rate per day for a full day even if you don't have the car the entire day.
14. Roadside SafetyNet (RSN) is not insurance and is not mandatory. Where available, you'll pay for RSN, if you accept it at the rate shown on the rental document for each full or partial rental day. RSN provides roadside assistance at no charge, in addition to the daily fee for: lost keys and remote entry devices, lockouts, flat tire service, towing (if the car becomes inoperable), jump starts, emergency fuel delivery (up to 3 gallons, as we determine is needed). Prohibited use of the car will void this option.
15. Fines, Expenses, Costs and Administrative Fees. You'll pay all fines, penalties and court costs for parking, traffic, toll and other violations, including storage liens and charges. You will also pay a reasonable administrative fee with respect to any violation of this agreement, such as for repossessing or recovering the car for any reason.
16. Error in Rental Charges. The charges shown on the return record are not final and are subject to recalculation. You'll pay any undercharges and you'll receive a refund for any overcharges we discover on review.
17. Prohibited Use of the Car & Voiding of Optional Services. Certain uses of the car and other things you or a driver may do, or fail to do, will violate this agreement. A VIOLATION OF THIS PARAGRAPH, WHICH INCLUDES USE OF THE CAR BY AN UNAUTHORIZED DRIVER, WILL AUTOMATICALLY TERMINATE YOUR RENTAL, IS AN EXCLUSION TO AND VOIDS ALL LIABILITY PROTECTION AND ANY OPTIONAL SERVICES THAT YOU HAVE ACCEPTED, INCLUDING ADDITIONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE, PERSONAL ACCIDENT INSURANCE, PERSONAL EFFECTS PROTECTION, ROADSIDE SAFETYNET AND LOSS DAMAGE WAIVER OR PARTIAL DAMAGE WAIVER. IT ALSO MAKES YOU LIABLE TO US FOR ALL THE PENALTIES, FINES, FORFEITURES, LIENS AND RECOVERY AND STORAGE COSTS, INCLUDING ALL RELATED LEGAL EXPENSES, FEES AND COSTS.
It is a violation of this paragraph if:
A. You use or permit the car to be used: 1) by anyone other than an authorized driver, as defined in paragraph 18; 2) to carry passengers or property for hire; 3) to tow or push anything; 4) to be operated in a test, race or contest or on unpaved roads; 5) while the driver is under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance; 6) for conduct that could properly be charged as a felony or misdemeanor, including the transportation of a controlled substance or contraband; 7) recklessly or while overloaded; 8) if rented in the United States, outside of the United States, or with our permission, Canada; or 9) if rented in Canada, outside of Canada, or with our permission, the United States; or
B. You or an additional driver, authorized or not: 1) fail to promptly report any damage to or loss of the car when it occurs or when you learn of it and provide us with a written accident/incident report or fail to cooperate fully with our investigation; 2) obtained the car through fraud or misrepresentation; 3) leave the car and fail to remove the keys or close and lock all doors, close all windows and the trunk and the car is stolen or vandalized; 4) intentionally or with willful disregard cause or allow damage to the car, or 5) return the car after hours and the car is damaged, stolen or vandalized.
18. Who May Drive the Car. You represent that you are a capable and validly licensed driver. You agree that we have the right to verify that your license has been validly issued and is in good standing; and that we may refuse to rent to you if your license has been suspended, revoked or otherwise restricted in any way. We reserve the right to deny rentals based upon information provided by the Motor Vehicle Department of the jurisdiction that issued your license. Except where otherwise specifically authorized by applicable law, only you, your spouse or domestic partner, or, if you rent from us under your employer's corporate account agreement, your employer or a regular fellow employee incidental to business duties may drive the car, but only with your prior permission. The other driver must be at least 25 years old and must be a capable and validly licensed driver. There may be a charge for each additional driver authorized to drive the car, which charge is specified on the rental document, unless prohibited by law covering this rental.
19. Liability Protection. Anyone driving the car who is permitted to drive it by this agreement will be protected against liability for causing bodily injury or death to others or damaging the property of someone other than the authorized driver and/or the renter up to the minimum financial responsibility limits required by the law of the jurisdiction in which the accident occurs. The limit for bodily injury sustained by any one person includes any claim for loss of that person's consortium or services. Where the law extends this protection to a non-permitted driver, the same limits will apply. Except where required by law to be primary, any protection provided by us shall be secondary to, and not in excess of, any applicable insurance available to you, or any other driver, from any other source, whether primary, excess, secondary or contingent in any way. If this protection is extended by operation of law to anyone not permitted by this agreement to drive the car, or to any person or instance where coverage is not intended to be afforded by this agreement, the financial responsibility limits of the jurisdiction in which the accident occurs will apply. You agree that we can provide coverage under a certificate of self-insurance or an insurance policy, or both, as we choose. In any case, a copy of the policy and/or certificate will be available for your inspection at our main office. You understand that unless required by applicable law, we will not provide (a) coverage for fines, penalties, punitive or exemplary damages; (b) coverage for bodily injury to you, or your death while not a driver, or any member of your family or the driver's family members related by blood, marriage or adoption residing with you or them; or the driver's family, or to a fellow employee arising out of or in the course of employment; (c) defense against any claim, unless we are required to provide primary protection, but in such event not after the applicable limits of protection that we furnish are tendered; (d) supplementary no fault, noncompulsory uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage, and any other optional or rejectable coverage, and you and we reject all such coverages to the extent permitted by law. Where any of these coverages are required or implied by law, the limits shall be the minimum required under applicable statute. Where permitted by law, you are rejecting uninsured or underinsured motorist and all optional automobile insurance coverages and under any policy of insurance or certificate of self-insurance in connection with this agreement, for you and all other passengers in the car. You understand that uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage protects you and other passengers in a car for losses and damages suffered if injury is caused by the negligence of a driver who does not have any insurance or has insufficient insurance to pay for losses and damages. There is no coverage in Mexico , and the car may not be taken into Mexico under any circumstances, unless special arrangements are made at the renting location for separate Mexican insurance, where such insurance is available.
20. Additional Liability Insurance (ALI) & Exclusions. You'll pay for additional liability insurance coverage if available and you accept it. In that case, the coverage provided by us according to paragraph 19 above will be primary and the combined limits of liability protection shall be $1,000,000 or $2,000,000, depending on the place of rental for bodily injury, death, or property damage for each accident, but not for more than the contracted $1,000,000 or $2,000,000 limit for each accident, instead of the basic limits stated in paragraph 19 above. This additional coverage will be provided to an authorized driver, as defined in paragraph 18, under a separate policy of excess liability insurance more fully described in the available brochure and is subject to all of the conditions and limitations described in paragraph 19 above, except that notwithstanding anything contained in this agreement, the terms of the policy will at all times control. ALI does not apply to liability for bodily injury or property damage arising out of any “prohibited use of the car” as described in paragraph 17 of this rental agreement, all of which are exclusions to ALI. Other exclusions to ALI are listed in the ALI policy. You understand that you will be charged the rate per day for a full day even if you don't have the car for the entire day.
21. Indemnification and Waiver. You agree to indemnify us, our parent and affiliated companies for and hold us harmless from any loss, liability and expense that we incur arising out of the use of the car, including reasonable attorney's fees: (a) which exceeds the greater of either the minimum limits of financial responsibility pursuant to the motor vehicle insurance law of the applicable jurisdiction, or the limits of any liability protection that we furnish to you; or (b) which results from any unauthorized use or prohibited operation of the car. You waive any claim against us for incidental, special or consequential damages in connection with the rental. If the rental takes place at a location operated by an Avis System Licensee and a claim relating to this transaction is made against Avis Rent A Car System, LLC, or Avis Car Rental Group, LLC, that alleges unfair, deceptive or unconscionable conduct, that renting Avis licensee agrees to indemnify and hold Avis Rent A Car System, LLC, and Avis Car Rental Group, LLC, harmless against such claim, including the related costs and expenses.
22. Repossessing the Car. We can repossess the car anytime it is found illegally parked, being used to violate the law or the terms of this agreement, or appears to be abandoned. We can also repossess anytime we discover that a misrepresentation was made to obtain the car. You agree that we needn't notify you in advance. If the car is repossessed, you agree to pay the actual and reasonable costs incurred by us to repossess the car. You agree that such cost will be charged to the card you used to rent the car.
23. Collections. If you do not pay all amounts due to us under this agreement upon demand, including all charges, fees and expenses, including, without limitation, payment for loss of or damage to the car, rental charges, parking and traffic fines and penalties, toll charges, towing, storage and impoundment fees, you agree to pay a late charge of 1 1/2% per month on the past due balance or the highest rate permitted by applicable law, whichever is less (collectively, “Charges”). You agree to also pay for any costs that we incur in seeking to collect such Charges including, without limitation, court costs and attorney's fees in addition to any administrative fees, cost recovery, insufficient funds fees and collection fees (collectively, “Costs”). If the law permits, you authorize us and our collection agent, to contact you or your employer, at your place of business about the payment of any past due Charges or Costs. You also agree that we or our collection agent(s) may access the personal information that you provided to us in any effort to collect any Charges or Costs under this section and may use the address provided by you on the Rental Document, or in any customer profile, as the place to send any demands or collection notices. In the event that you presented a credit or debit card for payment, you understand that we may report such deficiency to an appropriate credit reporting agency and you also authorize us to share that credit and debit card information with third party collection agents and further authorize us or our collection agents to charge any amounts due to us including, but not limited to, the Charges and Costs referenced above, to that credit or debit card.
24. Card Reserve. You acknowledge that you have been informed that if you use a charge card, your credit, up to an amount of the estimated total charges due under this Agreement, as indicated on the rental document, based on your representation about this rental, may be set aside or reserved by the card issuer of the card, which you present for payment of your rental charges; or, if you use a debit card, funds in the account to which that card is linked may be set aside for the greater of the amount of the estimated total charges due under this Agreement, based on your representation about this rental, as indicated on the rental document or the deposit amount indicated on signs at the location at which you rent at the time of rental. You consent to the reservation or setting aside of that estimated total amount at the time of commencement of the rental. You understand that we will authorize the release of any excess reserve or set aside upon the completion of your rental, and that your card issuer's rules apply to your credit line or your account being credited for such excess and may not be immediately released by your card issuer.
25. Property in the Car. We are not responsible for loss of or damage to any property in or on the car, in any service vehicle, on our premises, or received or handled by us, regardless of who is at fault. You'll be responsible to us for claims by others for loss or damage.
26. Meaning of “Car”. The word “car” in this agreement means the vehicle rented or its replacement, and includes tires, tools, equipment, accessories, plates, and documents, unless otherwise explicitly specified in this rental agreement.
27. Changes. Any change in this rental agreement or our rights must be in writing and signed by our president or a vice president.
28. Currency Conversion. If you use a credit or charge card that is issued by a financial institution outside of the United States and your charges are billed to us in a currency other than U.S. Dollars, the full amount of your charges will be converted to the card account's billing currency by us unless you submit a written request in advance to have the currency conversion performed by your card issuer. Our conversion will be based on a conversion rate published by Reuters and will incorporate a processing charge no higher than 3% applied to all amounts relating to this transaction. This charge will replace the currency conversion processing charge applied by your card issuer. You understand that your card issuer has a currency conversion process; that you have chosen not to use your card issuer's currency conversion process; and that you will have no recourse against your card issuer with respect to any matter related to the currency conversion or disclosure thereof.
30. Where2™ Global Positioning Satellite System. At various locations, we may offer for rental a Where2 Global Positioning System for your use. If you rent such a unit you will pay the additional daily charge shown on the rental document. This unit is not part of the car. You are responsible for any loss or damage to the unit and its accessories regardless of cause, even if you have accepted LDW. If the unit and/or its accessories are lost or damaged so as to, in our sole opinion, require repair or replacement, you will pay us its repair or full retail cost, which may be as much as $499. If you return the unit to a location other than the renting location without our authorization, you will pay us a fee for that unauthorized return. We do not use Where2 units to track or locate cars, other than those that are reported lost or stolen or as may be required by law enforcement agencies.
© 2010 Avis Rent A Car System, LLC