Motor Vehicle Insurance (MVI) is mandatory and included in the rate (taxable)
New Zealand Excess Reduction (ER) is optional (taxable)
Renter will be liable for an amount ranging from NZD 3000.00 + GST to NZD 3750.00 + GST, depending on the car group rented, if Excess Reduction (ER) is not purchased. Purchase of ER reduces the renter's liability to NZD 300.00 + GST for all car groups.
Theft Protection (TP) is included with MVI
Global insurance coverages are always subject to change. Please verify at time of rental.
Note: If you require additional insurance coverage you may purchase locally to reduce/remove the insurance excess. Just ask at the Avis rental desk when you collect your car.
At this location the minimum age is 21 for all car groups. A Young Driver Surcharge will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. The Young Driver Surcharge is 25.00 NZD (plus GST) per day per driver.
Avis accepts the Avis Charge Card, American Express, Diner's Club, MasterCard and Visa.
Debit Cards are accepted provided that the card displays the Visa or Mastercard logo, has been issued by a bank, has the customer's name and card number on the card, and the funds are being debited from a cheque/current account.
Prepaid and Reloadable Debit cards and gift cards, as well as Travel cards and EFTPOS cards are not accepted.
At time of pick up, driver must present a valid driving license from the renter's country of residence. All forms of documentation must be issued to the same person, in the same name, and presented together at the time of rental. An International Driving Permit (IDP)
is also required unless renter's national license is printed in English.
An International Driving Permit (IDP) serves only as a translation of a driver's existing license, and by itself is not acceptable for vehicle rental.
Extensions or late returns result in additional charges.
The 'Estimated Total' displayed on your reservation includes; base daily rate, taxes (GST), coupon discounts, and surcharges. Optional insurance coverages, GPS, Child Safety Seats, and one-way fees will also be calculated in the total, where applicable. Items such as credit/debit card transaction fees and petrol are not included in the Estimated Total.
Estimated total is subject to change based upon exchange rates at the time of rental.
Customers wishing to travel between the North and South Islands are not permitted to take Avis rental vehicles on the Inter islander Ferry across Cook Strait. To allow for this type of inter-island travel Avis has introduced a special rental system called a Multi-Island Hire which creates one continuous rental. If you require a Multi-Island Hire, the following rental conditions apply:
- A minimum rental of 3 consecutive days is required on each island, with a minimum total of 6 days across both islands. If this requirement is not met the rental will be charged as two separate hires.
For all wagons, 4WD's and vans, the minimum rental requirement is 5 consecutive days on each island (ie. a minimum total rental of 10 days across both islands).
- If you are traveling more than once between the two islands, the third (and subsequent) rental period has no minimum length of rental requirement.
- The rental can start and finish at any Avis location in New Zealand (subject to vehicle availability).
- You can cross between the two islands using the Picton Ferry Terminal and the Wellington Ferry Terminal, or you can fly into cities where Avis is located. Note: this policy only applies if you are traveling to the other island, not to a location within the same island.
- A maximum of 5 hours is allowed between the drop off of the vehicle in one island and the pick up of the next vehicle.
- A minimum of 48 hours notice is required of the customers intention to cross between the islands if a crossover booking has not been previously made. If notice is not given, we cannot guarantee a vehicle will be available on the other side.
It is important to note that no Avis vehicle is allowed to cross Cook Strait between the North and South Islands. Any customer taking a vehicle across on the Inter-islander ferry will not be covered by insurance for any damage occurred to the vehicle. If they collect a car in one island and leave the vehicle in the other island location without Avis authorization, they will face an automatic relocation fee of NZD 450.00 (incl. GST).
Vehicles are not permitted to leave New Zealand.
Customers wishing to travel between the North and South Islands are not permitted to take Avis rental vehicles on the Inter islander Ferry across Cook Strait. To allow for this type of inter-island travel Avis has introduced a special rental system called a Multi-Island Hire which creates one continuous rental. If you require a Multi-Island Hire, please see the Multi-Island Hire policy.