Motor Vehicle Insurance (MVI) is mandatory and included in the rate (taxable)
New Zealand Excess Reduction (ER) is optional (taxable)
If Excess Reduction is not purchased, the renter will be liable for an amount ranging from NZD 3000.00 + GST to NZD 3750.00 + GST, depending on the car group rented. Purchase of Excess Reduction reduces the renter's liability to NZD300.00 + GST for all car groups.
Theft Protection (TP) is included with MVI
Global insurance coverages are always subject to change. Please verify at time of rental.
Note: If you require additional insurance coverage you may purchase locally to reduce/remove the insurance excess. Just ask at the Avis rental desk when you collect your car.
Avis accepts the Avis Charge Card, American Express, Diner's Club, MasterCard, and Visa.
You may use a debit card if it has the Visa / Mastercard emblem / logo.
At time of pick up, the driver must present a valid driving license from the renter's country of residence. All forms of documentation must be issued to the same person, in the same name, and presented together at the time of rental. An International Driving Permit (IDP) is also required unless renter's national license is printed in English. An International Driving Permit (IDP) serves only as a translation of a driver's existing license, and by itself is not acceptable for vehicle rental.
At Avis Auckland Airport the minimum age is 21 for all car groups. A Young Driver Surcharge will apply to drivers under 25 years of age. The Young Driver Surcharge is 25.00 NZD (plus GST) per day per driver.
Approximate total includes base rate and associated taxes and surcharges. Items such as coupon discounts, and fuel are NOT included in the estimated total. Optional coverages, child safety seats, GPS, Roadside SafetyNet (RSN), fuel, other rental options and one-way fees are subject to tax in certain locations. This tax is not reflected in the Estimated Total.
Estimated total is subject to change based upon exchange rates at the time of rental.
Customers wishing to travel between the North and South Islands are not permitted to take Avis rental vehicles on the Interisland Ferry across Cook Strait. To allow for this type of inter-island travel Avis has introduced a special rental system called a Multi-Island Hire, which creates one continuous rental. If you require a Multi-Island Hire, the following rental conditions apply:
- A minimum rental of 3 days is required on each island, with a minimum total of 6 days. If this requirement is not met the rental will be charged as two separate hires.
For car groups F, P, V and W, the minimum rental requirement is 5 days in each island (ie. a minimum total rental of 10 days across both islands).
- If you are traveling more than once between the two islands, the third (and subsequent) rental period has no minimum length of rental requirement.
- The rental can start and finish at any Avis location in New Zealand (subject to vehicle availability).
- You can cross between the two islands using the Picton Ferry Terminal and the Wellington Ferry Terminal, or you can fly into cities where Avis is located. Note: this policy only applies if you are traveling to the other island, not to a location within the same island.
- A maximum of 5 hours is allowed between the drop off of the vehicle in one island and the pick up of the next vehicle.
- A minimum of 48 hours notice is required of the customers intention to cross between the islands if a crossover booking has not been previously made. If notice is not given, we cannot guarantee a vehicle will be available on the other side.
It is important to note that no Avis vehicle is allowed to cross Cook Strait between the North and South Islands. Any customer taking a vehicle across on the Interisland Ferry (i.e. if they collect a car from a location in one island and return the vehicle to a location in the other island) without Avis authorisation, will be charged an automatic relocation fee of NZD$450.00 (inc. GST).
Vehicles are not permitted to leave New Zealand.