Motor Vehicle Insurance (MVI) is mandatory and included in the rate (taxable).
Theft Protection (TP) is included with Motor Vehicle Insurance (MVI)
New Zealand Excess Reduction (ER) is optional(taxable).
In case of accident or damage, if Excess Reduction (ER) is not purchased the renter will be liable for an amount ranging from NZ$3,000.00 + GST to NZ$3,750.00 + GST, depending on the car group rented. Purchase of Excess Reduction (ER) reduces the renters liability to NZ$300.00 + GST for all vehicle groups.
If you are making a contracted corporate reservation using an Avis Worldwide Discount (AWD) or Avis Preferred number, please check your company's rates and insurance coverage before booking. Standard Motor Vehicle Insurance is mandatory on all Avis leisure rentals, but contracted corporate rates and insurance coverages may differ.
Please Note:If you require additional insurance coverage you may purchase locally to reduce/remove the insurance excess. Just ask at the Avis rental desk when you collect your vehicle.
Global insurance coverages are always subject to change. Please verify at time of rental.
At this location the minimum driver's age is 21 for all car groups. A Young Driver Surcharge of NZ$25.00 + GST per day per driver will apply to drivers under 25 years of age.
Debit Cards are accepted provided that the card displays the Visa or Mastercard logo, has been issued by a bank, has the customer's name and card number on the card, and the funds are being debited from a cheque/current account.
Prepaid and Reloadable Debit cards and gift cards, as well as Travel cards and EFTPOS cards are not accepted.
At time of rental pick up, all drivers must present a full and valid driver license from the renters country of residence. All forms of documentation must be issued to the same person, in the same name, and presented together at the time of rental.
Please Note: If the renters driver license is not printed in English they must also present an International Driving Permit (IDP). An International Driving Permit (IDP) serves only as a translation of a drivers existing driver license and by itself is not acceptable for vehicle rental.
Extensions or late returns result in additional charges.
The 'Estimated Total' displayed on your reservation includes; base daily rate, taxes (GST), coupon discounts, and surcharges. Optional insurance coverages, GPS, Child Safety Seats, and one-way fees will also be calculated in the total, where applicable. Items such as credit/debit card transaction fees and petrol are not included in the Estimated Total.
Estimated Total is subject to change based upon exchange rates at the time of rental.
Customers wishing to travel between the North and South Islands are not permitted to take Avis rental vehicles on the Interislander or Bluebridge Ferry service across Cook Strait.
To allow for this type of interisland travel, Avis has introduced a special rental system called a Multi-Island Hire which creates one continuous rental. If you require a Multi-Island Hire, the following rental conditions apply:
- A minimum rental of 3 consecutive days is required on each island, with a minimum total of 6 days across both islands.
- If this requirement is not met the rental will be charged as two separate hires.
- For all wagons, 4WD's and vans, the minimum rental requirement is 5 consecutive days on each island (ie. a minimum total rental of 10 days across both islands).
- If you are traveling more than once between the two islands, the third (and any subsequent) rental period has no minimum length of rental requirement.
- The rental can start and finish at any Avis location in New Zealand (subject to vehicle availability).
- You can cross between the two islands using the Picton Ferry Terminal and the Wellington Ferry Terminal, or you can fly into cities where Avis is located. Please Note: This policy only applies if you are traveling between the North and South islands, not to a location within the same island.
- A maximum of 5 hours is allowed between the drop off of the vehicle in one island and the pick up of the next vehicle on the other island.
- A minimum of 48 hours notice is required of the customers intention to cross between the islands if a crossover booking has not been previously made. If notice is not given, we cannot guarantee a vehicle will be available on the other side.
Important Notice: No Avis vehicle is allowed to cross Cook Strait between the North and South Islands. Any customer taking a vehicle across on an Interislander or Bluebridge ferry will not be covered by insurance for any damage occurred to the vehicle.
If a renter collects a car on one island and leaves the vehicle at a rental location on the other island, without Avis authorization, they will be charged an automatic relocation fee of NZ$450.00 plus GST.
Vehicles are not permitted to leave New Zealand.